Monday, November 19, 2012

Gluten Free Dinner Rolls


Oh my goodness!! I am so glad I finally tried this recipe out. I started my Thanksgiving prep early this year, and wanted gluten free rolls just so I can have my favorite leftover turkey & cranberry sandwich. So I made these, baked and froze ahead of time. These rolls must be what they serve in Heaven ;) they are SO good, so light and fluffy! I don't know what it is, but yeast breads sort of dislike me, they go flat during their baking, but they still tasted good so I don't mind. I'll have to try these as burger buns sometime too. This gluten free AP flour mix is what I keep on hand, this is where my fave GF pie crust recipe comes from too.


Gluten Free Dinner Rolls
makes about 18 rolls, adapted from The Art of Gluten Free Baking

Note: this recipe uses Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix (mix together and store in a cool, dark place):
1 1/4 C (170g) brown rice flour
1 1/4 C (205g) white rice flour
1 C (120g) tapioca flour
1 C (165g) sweet rice flour (aka Mochiko)
2 scant tsp. xanthan gum

Ingredients:
3 C (420g) Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix, above
2 tsp xanthan gum (this is in addition to the xanthan gum in the mix)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 C (50g) sugar
2 TBL active dry yeast
2 C (475ml) warm but not hot milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 large or extra large eggs
1/4 C (60ml) olive oil (or neutral oil)
melted butter for pans and for brushing tops of rolls
tapioca flour for pans

Butter and flour muffin tins.
In a small bowl, whisk 1 TBL of the sugar into warm milk. Add yeast, whisk to dissolve; set aside to proof (start the yeast working)–it will get foamy on the top.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, the remaining sugar, and salt; set aside.
In bowl of mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together eggs, vinegar and oil. Add yeast mixture, beat to mix. Add flour mixture, beat on low to combine, then beat on high for about 3 minutes.

Spoon dough into prepared muffin tins–filling about 3/4 of each cup full (I use my ice cream scooper). With a sharp knife that has been dipped in tapioca flour, cut a deep slash in the top of each roll
Don’t worry if there’s a little extra tapioca flour left on the rolls.

Turn on oven to preheat to 375 degrees.
Let rise until doubled in bulk–about 40 mins. I put muffin tins on top of stove to let dough rise in proximity to warmth of the preheating stove.

Once rolls have risen, brush the top of each with melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes–until the tops are a nice golden brown. If they start to brown too quickly, loosely tent the rolls with aluminum foil.
Remove from oven. Release rolls from tins. Enjoy!

*Note: you can also make these into buns by dropping large spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Follow rising and baking instructions for the muffin-tin rolls.
*Mochiko is often found in the Asian food aisle of the grocery store.


ready to rise 



Please share this post if you liked it. =)

enjoy,
Pin It!

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I was wondering where you found the sweet rice flour? I could not find it ANYWHERE! I went to whole foods, natural grocers and Sprouts! And they all acted as if they had never heard of it! But I ended up using potato starch and they still came out good! My mom who has to eat Gluten Free loved them. But I want to make them again with the right ingredients so I was curious where you found yours! Thanks for all the yummy food!

Rachelle S said...

Hello Marigny, I find it in the Asian food aisle of the grocery store. It's in a white box. So glad you tried them anyways and they came out great. I just ate one as leftovers and it's still good. :) http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=34moimhu34-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B005DX8YJS

Kati said...

Do you think this would bake as a bread loaf well? Does it rise enough for that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...