Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mom's Sweet and Sour Meatballs


This recipe was meant to be posted back when I started blogging, almost 4 years ago!! Every time I made these since, they never got blogged for one reason or another. Today they are being posted! This is a recipe my Mom made for us growing up and I really liked it, so I make it for my family. Well, if you know me by now, you know I like to shift the recipe around a little.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
adapted from my Mom's recipe

Meatballs:
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground plain pork
2 eggs
salt & pepper to taste
1 TBL crushed garlic
1 tsp fresh grated ginger

Sauce & Veggies:
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cans pineapple chunks + juice
2 TBL corn starch
1/4 C water
3 carrots, medium sliced
1 TBL minced garlic
1/4 C soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 C white vinegar
1/3 C sugar
Hot cooked Jasmine rice

Mix ground beef and pork with salt & pepper, ginger, garlic, eggs, roll in to small balls and fry in a little oil (or bake 350' for 20 minutes or until done).

In a large stock pot, cook onion and peppers until just tender. Set peppers aside
Heat pineapple chunks, carrots & juice until boiling, then mix up corn starch & a little water and add in until it boils and thickens. Add sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Mix well. Add onions and meatballs to mixture, and heat through about 15 mins. Add peppers to sauce before seving. Serve over hot cooked Jasmine Rice.

We had such a nice evening here, we ate outside!



~Follow my new recipe url so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Pin It!

3 Comments:

Sandra said...

Wow those look good and so does your split pea soup just below :) Great recipes :)

Unknown said...

What a YUMMY!!! recipe using meatballs. Always looking for something NEW!!!
Became a follower, come by and visit anytime!!!

Debbie said...

Yum! I bet my boys would love this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...