Friday, January 7, 2011

Flavorful Fridays 2: Crockpot Pernil (Puerto Rican Pork)

  


I've been buying pork roasts from Costco a lot lately, they feed us well, are cheap (when you buy the big bag of like 5 roasts) and they can be done many ways. The day before I was going to roast one, I saw this recipe posted on Facebook. I ran in and put it together. This was going to be dinner instead! I love trying new recipes, and since this was really good, I've got to share it here. This is my Flavorful Friday post!


Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil (Puerto Rican Pork)
directions adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes

3 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed (I used pork loin roast)
4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
3 oranges, juice of (1/2 cup)
2 limes, juice of

Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over pork and place in a large zip lock bag, overnight in the refrigerator.
Add pork roast and contents of bag into the crock pot and cook on low, 8 hours.

After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks. Remove liquid from crock pot and add pork back to crock. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back and adjust salt, pepper and cumin, if needed. Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.




Mommy? Im Hungry!



If you'd like to share a Flavorful dish, and I hope that you do, please use my button on your post and link up below (please link directly to the recipe). I look forward to seeing your recipes and perhaps finding something new to make for my family! = )



~Follow my new recipe url so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Pin It!

3 Comments:

Jane said...

Hi Rachelle,
Your pork dish looks delicious! I tweeted and mentioned this post on my FB profile page. Have a great weekend!

camille said...

I've saved this recipe, even though I'll need to halve it to fit into our wee crockpot... also, can you believe you need to squeeze 3 oranges just to get 1/2 cup of juice? Oranges are wicked stingy!

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

I love pork roasts, this looks great! Linking up with my Blackened Tilapia Opelousas. Enjoy your week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...